Friday, April 11, 2008

Animal Activists Hurt Their Cause

Animal activists often hurt their own causes

By KERRY DIOTTE


I love critters as much as most people.

I've grown up with cats and dogs and hamsters - and treasured them all.

Having been raised in northern Ontario where we owned a cabin (or camp, as it was called there), I also hunted grouse at an early age.

I've since lost my love of that and now prefer to photograph wildlife rather than see it dead on my plate.

Stories of animal abuse make me feel sick to my stomach. I truly admire people in the field of animal welfare who try to improve the lot of our feathered and furry friends.

What I don't understand, though, is why some animal advocates become so strident in their cause that there's a backlash and they wind up crippling their case. Read More

I attribute the success of the HSUS to the point made in this piece. Wayne Pacelle figured out that they needed to seem very mainstream, especially compared to other animal rights groups, in order to be successful in accomplishing their agenda.

No comments: