Thursday, July 2, 2009

Explaining Production Systems

'Organic' label doesn't guarantee quality or taste
Just because it's organic doesn't mean it's the best. Let flavor dictate.

By RUSS PARSONS
July 1, 2009

I don't believe in organic. There, I've said it and I feel better. It's something that's been on my mind for years.

Now, don't get me wrong: I've got nothing against organic farmers. In fact, some of my favorite farmers are organic. I really admire them: Growing delicious food and doing it according to organic standards is adding a degree of difficulty that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But a lot of my favorite farmers aren't organic, and therein lies the rub.

This may shock some people, and for that I guess I ought to apologize. But really, if I'm honest, I think the ones who need to do the apologizing are the often-well-meaning organic advocates who paint such a black-and-white picture of the way farming works that it seems there should be no choice at all.

Listening to them, you get the idea that if you aren't eating fruits and vegetables that were organically grown, you might as well be mainlining Agent Orange or handing your money straight to some giant industrial agricultural corporation. You're certainly not going to be getting anything with any flavor, they'd argue. Read More

This is one of the most balanced pieces about food production you will probably ever see. Congratulations to the author for practicing good journalism. All production methods have advantages and drawbacks. And not all of them will work in all situations. It’s trendy to buy organic right now, but most consumers don’t truly understand what that even means. Articles like this that truly show how both systems work will go a long ways toward educating consumers.

No comments: