Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Vegetarian Kept Alive By Pig's Heart Valve

Teen Heart Patient's Shock: 'I'm a Vegetarian Being Kept Alive by a Pig'

Tuesday, September 29, 2009
A vegetarian teenager from Scotland, who was suffering from a rare cardiac condition, is now being kept alive by a pig’s heart valve.

Robyn Cairney, 18, of Ruckazie, Glasgow was diagnosed with aortic stenosis and regurgitation after she collapsed at the gym.

Over time, the condition caused her aorta to narrow, which allowed blood to dangerously flow back to her heart. The most common symptom is shortness of breath with exertion, resulting in some patients feeling “out of shape,” according to the American Heart Association.

"It came totally out of the blue,” Cairney told The Sun. “I was at the gym and became unwell during a mile run. I couldn't breathe and wouldn't stop coughing. Then my lips started turning blue and I knew that something was seriously wrong.”

When the aortic valve becomes excessively obstructed or leaky, the valve must be repaired or replaced.

"The doctors told me that I would need to have a valve taken out and replaced by one from a pig,” Cairney said. "It was a bit of a shock being a vegetarian, but I realized it was a life or death choice. Obviously everyone is going to pick life, so now I'm a vegetarian being kept alive by a pig."

Cairney was fitted with the pig's valve during open heart surgery at the Golden Jubilee Hospital near Glasgow.

The pig's valve should last for 20 years. Cairney will then have to undergo surgery to have a mechanical valve fitted.

"I'm just glad I can get on with my life now and am determined to make the most of everything I do,” she added. Link

This very situation has been discussed by many people before. What would a vegan or vegetarian do if their life depended on the death of an animal? I guess the answer has been discovered. This young vegetarian now owes her life to a pig and the farmer that raised it. She can also be thankful the research facilities that worked on this technology weren’t destroyed by militant vegan animal rights activists. As I have stated before, the success of life depends on death. That statement has been proven true again in this situation.

5 comments:

-Dawn said...

Hello,
I just stumbled onto your Blog and website when I searched HSUS after reading an article in the latest KLA magazine. Your blog is SO AWESOME! I thank you both for the hard work you do at trying to help people understand the importance of agriculture... more importantly, animal agriculture!!

My two acres said...

The success of life depends on death. That's pretty powerful. I posted links to this blog because I thought it was awesome! Thank you!

Capn Coconuts said...

How ironic...

I wonder how many ARAs would think things through when put in a life or death situation like this?

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting article, I'd guess this isn't the first time this has happened, but it's good to shed some light on it. Plenty of vegetarians who suffer form diabetes enjoy their health to insulin, usually porcine in origin, yes? Truth be told, we all pretty much owe our good health to the lives and deaths of countless animals that preceded us in the search for better medical and biotechnology...

Anonymous said...

And we rely on their manure to fertilize our fields and in many regions of the world, people still primarily rely on animal labour to plow, harvest and transport their crops. The ARA world is essentially a make-believe place populated by wealthy urban and suburban residents of first-world nations with littel experience in agriculture or knowledge of history.